Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My living room

We have now been in our new house for five months, and this is what our living room looks like.

Those boxes used to just be filled with books, but somehow have become receptacles for toys, stray socks, and missing house keys, too. I've never claimed to be a good decorator or even a decent housekeeper, but even I am getting embarrassed to invite people over. Not just people--family even.

To be fair, we finally bought actual furniture last weekend, and it will arrive next week. I'm just not sure it will be much of an improvement. It's brown, for one thing. I figured brown would be fine, sensible for sticky little fingers and maybe even cute with stylish throw pillows. But it took me five months to get a sofa. How long might it be before I find throw pillows? Or a rug? Or a coffee table? Years. It may be years. And in the meantime I will have brown furniture amid boxes and toy strollers.

Amelia and Henry, at least, are quite happy with the current decor.

2 comments:

  1. We have dozens, nay hundreds, of throw pillows waiting to be sold in our basement. I bet I could get you a discount. lexielew.com - our dwindling business.

    ReplyDelete