Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The girl with the leaky eye

Although she is, generally speaking, a study in toddler health, Amelia has one lingering physical abnormality: a leaky left eye.

The pediatric ophthalmologist has diagnosed her with nasolacrimal duct obstruction, a.k.a. blocked tear duct. The tears go in, but they cannot drain out, so they either run down her face, giving her a perpetual sad-clown appearance, or they stay in her eye, giving her persistent eye boogers. Worst case, allergens which would normally be washed quickly away linger on her eyeball and make her look like she has a black eye, as shown in this Halloween photo. This is uncomfortable for Amelia and does not seem to reflect well on my parenting.

Last September the ophthalmologist suggested a very quick, simple, painless procedure to correct the problem, which, oh, by the way, requires general anesthesia. I balked. Anesthesia? For a leaky eye? But it could clear up on it's own! It's already better! She'll be cured all on her own within a couple of months! I refused the surgery.
Since then her eye has gotten worse, and since winter and cold season set in, more and more often she wakes from naps with her lashes crusted together. I am increasingly concerned with the possibility of infection. I also can't imagine it's good for her vision to be looking through a glob of goo most of each day.

Anyway, Amelia is scheduled for surgery on Friday at noon. My pediatrician seems to think this is no big deal, but I am sick to my stomach over it. I am looking at baby pictures of her and weeping, worrying that I didn't appreciate her infant-hood enough.

Part of me thinks the whole surgery thing is a bad idea, but I can't let her grow up looking like a James Bond villain. Right?

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how scary it is but I totally think you are doing the absolute right thing.

    ReplyDelete