Friday, April 25, 2008

BFB: Big freakin' baby

Yesterday at my 24-week prenatal appointment my doctor told me she is worried that this baby is going to be a giant.

Apparently, second babies tend to weigh more than first babies, and Henry was 9 lbs., 2 oz., so she has visions of a 10+ pounder and brought up the dreaded possibility of a C-section. Yuck. This is exactly the problem with doctors instead of midwives. You always have to be prepared to ward off the scalpel.

I told her I'll accept the C if it comes to that, but that, regardless of the size, I want to try to do this vaginally. After all, giant Henry and his giant 15 inch head were no problem. Except, you know, for the part where I had to sit on a hemorrhoid pillow for the next two weeks.

She said the good news was that if this baby is even 8 1/2 pounds, it should be a snap.

"You might consider taking up coffee and cigarettes," she said.

Then she said, "Just kidding."

Then she said, "Actually, a little coffee might not be bad."

0 comments:

Post a Comment