Friday, August 13, 2010

Science camp

I had really started to make peace with myself as a mother. Sure, I was a little moody, a little loud, a little insecure. But I was doing my best, and that counts for something, right? RIGHT?

The problem is that sometimes my best sucks.

For the past two weeks Henry has been attending afternoon camps at the Lawrence Hall of Science. The first one was about bugs and the second was about pond life. The camps are awesome--real bugs, real salamanders, real crayfish--and Henry loves them. They have been amazing learning opportunities for him, and just absolute showcases of parental ineptitude for me.

I don't know what it is about the camps. Maybe it's the fact that the Lawrence Hall of Science is 30 minutes away. Or that once I park, it takes another 5 to 10 minutes to unload everyone, descend the giant staircase, and circle the entire O-shaped building to get to the classroom. Maybe it's the mid-morning swim lessons that leave me with an hour and a half to kill before science camp--too much time to purposefully head to the classroom, too little time to go home or run any significant errands. Whatever it is, I am just a mess around the whole thing.

It took me two days to remember I was supposed to pack him a snack, and when I finally figured it out, all I had to leave him were some sandwich wedges bearing Amelia's tiny bite marks. One day we were at LHS an hour early, and he was still late because I realized minutes before class started that I had left my purse clear on the other side of the building.

This week I didn't even pack lunches, preferring to spend a small fortune in the LHS cafeteria, which was nice, but it meant his snacks consisted of either a free-floating banana with his name written in ballpoint pen on the peel (3 days) or pretzels from the vending machine (1 day). Sometimes I drew a heart next to his name on the banana peel to prove I care, however half-assed the snacks I provided.

Each day I'd see the other kids lining up with their snack bags, their parents looking all grown up and organized, and I'd send poor Henry in with his lone banana. Or I wouldn't see the other kids because we were late, and they would already be sitting in the circle, name tags on, and I would send Henry in and place the solitary banana beside their neatly-arranged pouches. I wanted to cry for my son.

So it has been a bad week, one in which I have been driving up to 70 miles a day to and from various summer activities, while an unfinished 20-page research report due at the end of the month sits neglected on my laptop. And yesterday at pick-up time it finally all came to a head.

I had one phone call to make yesterday--just one!--regarding a part-time job with my old company. I told the woman I'd call between 4 and 5 p.m. Amelia and I picked Henry up at 4, and then they both wanted to climb the giant DNA outside, and I said fine, seven minutes. I warned them at five minutes, and again at two minutes. I announced a one minute warning. Then I told them it was time to go.

"I just have to climb through once more," said Henry, starting in from the front end. It had taken him all seven minutes for him to make it across once.

"No," I said, firmly, "I have to get home to make a phone call."

By then Amelia had run off squealing, her greatest entertainment these days being to either run or hide when I say we have to go somewhere. It took two minutes to chase her down, and another minute to talk Henry off the DNA, and finally, my brittle patience barely holding together as we walked to the car, Henry said, "I have to go to the bathroom."

And I just...you know...grrrrrrrr. What could I say, "no"? "No, you can't go to the bathroom"? "Hold it for the 30 minute ride home"? Of course not. So instead I said, "Dammit!" and dragged the two of them down the giant stairs to the bathroom where Henry proceeded to tell me he had to poop. Poop! This kid can take 25 minutes to poop.

This was all very frustrating in itself, and then my loopy, child-addled mind decided to take it to the next level by declaring this event to be symbolic of the fact that I will NEVER get a job, and that, in fact, I have RUINED my life by staying home lo these many years. Then it pointed out with great indignation that Simon has NEVER, EVER had to choose between getting a child to the bathroom and making a business call.

I started audibly weeping, right there, in front of both children in the Lawrence Hall of Science ladies' room stall. I continued grousing all the way back to the car. I buckled the kids into their car seats while loudly declaring that it was absolutely unfair that Daddy never had to take on drop-off or pick-up responsibilities. As I drove away I saw that the lady on the bench in front of our parking space was one of Henry's teachers. So, you know, swell. I hope they give him an extra hug today.

Incidentally, I still made it home in time to make my phone call. So I further ruined my kids for nothing.

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking I'm the only one who has days like this. You aren't alone in this - it is hard and you're right - very few dads have to choose between taking a child to the bathroom and taking a business call. Wasn't it Gloria Steinem who said that you never hear about men balancing a family and a career.
    Love your blog - thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for providing a dose of reality. And you are SO doing your best. I'm sure, maybe, ok there are those who are more organized, but really, that's not I think what it's about. I hope your children grow up to remember that their mom was REAL, with real ambitions, feelings, frustrations and dreams. WHo wants to have to live up to the image of the perfectly organized parent?? I want someone who cares, and there's many ways to show that. PS I recall being w/a friend and his sons, one of who, in the back seat of the car said "daddy I have to poop". We were almost at the beach in Santa Cruz. "just one more minute, can you hold it?" little voice "yes, dad". Then in a frightened louder voice "DADDY POOP IS COMING OUT OF ME!!!". A screech into the parking lot to save the moment, but it was tough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate on both counts - I have had to make calls to colleagues with squalling children in the background (won't call clients tho) and of COURSE my husband has never dealt with that - no no it would seem unprofessional - haha.
    Also, I am ALWAYS the most disorganized Mom in the group - my kids have crappy snacks - like plastic baggies filled with cheerios. My kids are the ones who have to finish the hike in nothing but a diaper or go around the mall with pee or poop on them because Mom forgot a diaper change. I've just decided that organization is just not something I'm going to judge myself on - but yes I can't help but wonder what the other Moms are thinking at times. I wish I could hang out with you - then we could run around with half-a**ed snacks together. But there's nothing wrong with a banana.
    Hang in there! Good luck with the job. xoxo

    ReplyDelete