Friday, August 27, 2010

Poo-poo, the sequel

I know, I know. It's been weeks! I am getting blog lazy (blazy?). That's what happens when I have an actual work project to spend my time on.

I know I wrote about poop talk months ago, but it's returned to our house with a vengeance lately. This time it's not so much Henry as it is Amelia. Now that she's officially 2, there is nothing funnier to her than the word "poo-poo."

This is what it's like to read a book with her now:

Me: In the great green room, there was a telephone and a red...
Amelia: Poo poo
Me: Balloon. And a picture of... [pause to turn the page]
Amelia: Poo poo
Me: No, the cow jumping over the...
Amelia: Poo poo
Me: No more poo poo! If you keep saying 'poo poo,' I'm closing the book.
Amelia: OK, no more poo poo.
Me: Thank you. And there were three little bears, sitting on...
Amelia: Pee pee

And of course it's like hearing something funny at a funeral, right? It's not really that funny, but because you know you're not supposed to laugh, it is hilarious. So I set my face in a stern gaze, and then I snort, and then I guffaw, and soon I am crying tears of unadulterated mirth and Amelia is grinning in victory.

1 comment: