Monday, April 19, 2010

St. Teresa

Some days my inferiority complex is so fierce that seeing a cool hair cut on someone in line at Peet's can make me want to shave my messy, split-ended, thinning, graying hair and just give up on hair and the world all at once.

Today is one of those days. Henry got a CD from his friend Harper's birthday party yesterday (Harper is the 4 year old who can read and do math, so you can add that to the complex) with all of Harper's favorite songs. We listened to it in the car on the way to drop Henry off at preschool, and as Weezer blared, I was sick with the thought that my musical taste pales in comparison to this preschooler's, and that Henry's emotional growth would somehow be stunted from listening to Rihanna and Ludacris as a child instead of some soul-stirring indy group.

So after I dropped Henry off I started playing some iTunes to make myself feel better, and "St. Teresa" came on. It reminded me of one night in college, when I was living in the guest room at my aunt and uncle's house in New Jersey, and Joan Osborne was the musical guest on Letterman. I was lonely and depressed and empty, but it was spring, and there was a full moon out the window, and there was "St. Teresa," and I felt electric. Like I meant something. Like I was waiting to begin. I was lost, but I was new, and a blank future stretched ahead, vast and mysterious. I hear the song, and I remember having a burning faith in myself, and for a few minutes my grown-up prison fades, I see an empty road ahead, and I feel like moving forward.

Incidentally, I also feel better when I listen to Tupac Shakur's "Dear Mama." His mama was a crack fiend, and he still appreciates her.

You know you suffer from a lack of self-esteem when "at least I'm not a crack fiend" is a pep-talk.


2 comments:

  1. First of all, children are not necessarily SUPPOSED to enjoy our music. That is why there is Sesame Street. And parents who INSIST that their hipster offspring just LOVE whatever hip new band THEY like are assholes who refuse to let their children have their OWN cultural and generational experiences. This is why that comment from that mom about how SHE didn't like "those new SS characters" and undoubtedly showed her own ONLY SS from the 70's was SO IRRITATING TO ME.

    Ahem. That required a lot of caps.

    Second, that song is huge for me but it is all about my own mother in my case.

    I wish shouting in all caps could remove inferiority complexes. If it could, I would have knocked that crap out of you in high school, I suppose. Wish we could have a drink. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how much better the caps made me feel. Also, I hadn't thought about that song in terms of your mother, and I am surprised I never made the connection before. Now I will never not think of your mother when I hear it.

    ReplyDelete