Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Potty training, completed

Although Henry has been potty trained for more than a year, he has still been wearing diapers at night. All the books I've read say that you'll know your child is ready to go diaper-free when he wakes up dry most mornings. Henry has never woken up dry in his life. I was starting to worry that his first sleepover would come along and he'd be bringing a size 11 Pampers with him.

And then Monday night he simply decided he was done. He refused to put the diaper on, and I said fine, expecting a long night of changing sheets. Instead, I woke him up once at 12:30 to pee, and he stayed dry the entire night.

Last night was the same, except that I didn't wake up at 12:30, I woke up at 4:30. I debated, and decided to take him to the bathroom anyway, for fear that he'd wet the bed at 5:30 and then be up for the day. He peed, but he wouldn't go back to sleep. I had, it seemed, made a horrible miscalculation. After 20 minutes, he was pleading to get up, I was pleading for him to go back to sleep, and he asked for Daddy instead. Simon sat with him calmly until he drifted off again, this time until 8 am. Still dry.

Tonight I'll just let the poor child sleep and let the pee fall where it may.

But there you go. For all the books, videos, and consultants related to potty training, they just kind of figure it out for themselves.

2 comments:

  1. Not to be a nag, but I need to know what happened! Did he pee himself? How's it going?

    Also, am I taking interest in a child?

    I think so. I credit your amazing writing skills. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am flattered! I try to use my least irritating child stories, but that filter is always faulty when they're your own kids.

    There were three or four nights of peeing the bed. Now he either sleeps through the night or, and this is still astonishing to me, gets out of bed, walks to the bathroom, pees in the toilet, and climbs back into bed ALL BY HIMSELF.

    It could not be more of a miracle if Mary's face appeared in the splattered pee on the toilet seat.

    ReplyDelete