Friday, October 1, 2010

Love and marriage

Lately Henry wants to marry Amelia.

"That's sweet," I told him when he first brought it up last week, "but you're not really supposed to marry your sister."

Henry glared at me and crossed his arms. "I don't care, I'm going to marry her anyway."

So, you know, fine with me. I'm certainly not going to argue the point with him. By the time he's old enough to marry, the thought of marrying his sister will make his skin crawl. In fact, after watching Simon and I snipe at each other for a few more years, the thought of marrying ANYONE will make his skin crawl. As well it should.

Unfortunately for poor Henry, Amelia does not share his ardor.

"Amelia," Henry said to her yesterday, taking her little face in his hands, "do you want to marry me?"

Amelia pursed her tiny mouth, looked him in the eyes, and gently replied, "No, Haya."

And Henry began to bawl. Just really bawl as though his heart had been shattered.

I held him and stroked his hair and tried to think of something to say to ease the sting of rejection. "You can marry me!" I offered. That's weird, right? But he's a 4-year-old asking his 2-year-old sister to marry him, so we've already veered off the beaten path here.

"I don't want to marry you," Henry growled. "I want to marry Amelia." And the tears began anew.

For the record, that officially makes no one in our family who wants to be married to me.

4 comments:

  1. Was recently told about your blog, got forever hooked, and then spent the last week reading from the beginning. Please don't stop. Ever. It's one thing to be honest, another to be funny - but to combine both in a pitch-perfect way (Yes! Anne Lamott!!) - well that is rare. If I wrote like you, my life would be different. You need to publish.

    Thank you for daring to say what I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the nicest comment I've ever received--ever, in any context, ever in my life. I'm framing it in my bedroom and also making sticky notes out of it to keep on my bathroom mirror. Maybe getting a tattoo of it on my forearm. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygod, this is SO "Flowers in the Attic."

    ReplyDelete
  4. what she said.
    I keep checking for a new post...

    ReplyDelete