Friday, July 23, 2010

Vacation

We have just returned from our two-week sojourn to Cleveland and New Jersey. I know what you're thinking--the glamour, the excitement. Please, your jealousy is unbecoming.

But here's the thing with small children: it doesn't matter where you take them. The Great Lakes Science Center is just as interesting to them as the Louvre. More interesting, even. Besides, I haven't seen my Cleveland relatives since my wedding, 6 years ago, when I was too anxious and emaciated to talk to anyone.

I'll spare you the day-by-day details of the vacation. Instead, here are a few thoughts:

1. Cross-country travel with small children is the most effective way to dispel the fear that they're growing up too fast. I mean, I love these little babies, but I will love them just as much when I can read a book on the airplane without having to repeatedly apologize to the flight attendant for false alarms with the call button.

2. The good citizens of Cleveland are seriously upset over LeBron James going to Miami. So much so that the evening news identified him only as "The Traitor" on the onscreen tag.

3. I have more cousins than I realized who were secretly given up for adoption decades ago. It's not a closet of skeletons with that family, it's a freaking clown car.

4. The guards at the American Museum of Natural History know that if you are visiting with children under 5, you're looking for "Gum Gum," the Easter Island head in Night at the Museum. They will approach you and offer directions to Gum Gum without even asking if that's what you want to see.

5. The Morris/Essex line of the NJ Transit does not run from Penn Station after midnight, at least not from the NJ Transit area I was waiting in, even though the schedules all say it does, and there are no NJ Transit employees there at that hour. Oh, and a cab from Penn Station to Summit, NJ, will run you about $150 with tip. FYI.

6. We spent more than $200 for our day in NYC visiting the Museum of Natural History (not the same day as the $150 cab ride, clearly). We spent $10 the next day getting iced coffee and Munchkins at the Dunkin' Donuts and hanging around a New Providence playground. Our kids were just as happy, proving my original point that it doesn't matter where you take small children.

One more thing I've been chewing on these past couple of weeks. My cousin Kathleen pointed out that although my blog makes it seem as though I am constantly overwhelmed with parenting, I am not a bad parent in person. She even said I have a "calming effect" on my kids, which she would probably take back if she had witnessed the argument between Amelia and I this morning about the fact that her new battery-operated Hello Kitty toothbrush IS NOT A TOY.

But Kathleen is right. I may be feeling my way through the dark with this parenting stuff, but I'm not doing such a bad job. (Cut to 15 years later, where I sit sobbing and apologizing during the family sessions with my kids' therapist, finally knowing for certain that I was so, so wrong about the toothbrush.)




7 comments:

  1. OH MY HOLY HEAVENS - I am so sorry about the world's most expensive cab ride. WHY did you not CALL ME? I would have driven back in to get you and kept you safe in my house until morning at the very least. Granted, it took me 90 minutes to get home on the subway so you would have had a bit of a wait.... But UGH!

    So glad I got to see you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your blog. I was on the computer this afternoon, in tears, googling "depressed housewife" and your blog came up. It made me laugh, then cry more, mainly because I often feel like the worst wife and mother lately. What make me cry even more is that I used to be a normal person, and I feel like that person has gone on permanent vacation. Sorry to vent, I'm obviously having a dramatic moment, but just wanted to say I appreciate your blog and will be checking in often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the cab ride: I honestly had no idea the ride would cost that much. Also, I'm still convinced that the train was there somewhere, and I was just too dimwitted to find it.

    On depressed housewives: Oh, my dear, thank you for the kind words about my blog. You are SO not alone. And I can't tell you how happy I feel to know that I am not the only one to have googled "depressed housewife."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, never be sorry for venting. That's the whole point of this blog for me. If I didn't vent I would lose my mind. Or lose more of my mind. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The Traitor"!

    So good to read your post. Welcome back. I'm sitting at you-know-where on a Monday morning, so this helped a lot.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog! I'll have to tell you about a 2-hour cab ride in the middle of the night in Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a great, wonderful, funny mom who is HUMAN and makes mistakes and also does glorious things for her kids. Someone who can laugh and someone who "gets" what they are about. Here's a toast to your conscious parenting.

    ReplyDelete