Thursday, June 17, 2010

Anxieties can come true

Last Saturday was Henry's birthday party at Children's Fairyland. It was, to hear the talk in our house, the most anticipated event of the year. The talk went like this:

H: "Is my Fairyland party today?"

Me: "Not today!"

H: "Is it tomorrow?"

Me: "Not tomorrow! Soon! Very soon!"

H: (stamping, shouting) "I want it to be today!"

And this went on EVERY MORNING for the two weeks leading up to it. Toward the end I was threatening to cancel the damn party if the tantrums didn't stop.

I am a terrible parent when my children whine.

So I knew this was a big deal to Henry. It would likely be the highlight of his young life until he starts science camp at Habitot in July. The pressure, for me, was intense. I was on the phone to Fairyland every couple of days. First to follow up on our party application, then to follow up on the invitations, then to increase our head count, then to follow up on the increased head count. Fairyland party planners appeared to be about as dependable as cartoon pixies.

And then I got an Evite reply from a mom that said "Cool! We're going to a party at Cinderella's Shoe at the same time!" And so I was back on the phone to Fairyland. The pixies assured me that Cinderella's Shoe was indeed reserved for Henry, they had the paperwork right there.

You see where this is headed, right? Of course you do. I saw where it was headed, too, but I also have years of psychotherapy under my belt, and was thus able to dismiss my increasing feelings of doom as the product of my dysfunctional upbringing.

Towards the end of the pre-party puppet show, I noticed people I didn't know carrying balloons and presents to Cinderella's Shoe. I raced to the first person in a Children's Fairyland T-shirt I could find. "WE'RE supposed to have Cinderella's Shoe!" I cried, stamping and shouting.

A flurry of activity followed. First the Fairy Party Department confirmed that we did have the shoe. Then they returned and said that the other party had brought their paperwork confirming their ownership of the shoe. Did I have my paperwork? I did not. I had thought that my repeated communications plus close to $300 was sufficient to reserve the shoe. It was not.

By then the puppet show was over. Henry skipped over to me, beaming in the golden crown the puppets had bestowed upon him in honor of his birthday, and said, "Let's go to the shoe!" When I told him we were not going to having the party at the shoe, he began to wail.

And that was when I lost it on the fairies. I don't remember my exact words, just the tears in my eyes and the word "unacceptable" shouted again and again and again. It was both exhilarating and sorely humiliating as I realized the parents of Henry's friends were all watching my very public fury. When I was finished, the Fairyland party staff assured me that I would be receiving a complete refund.

"Thank you," I smiled, sweetly.

We moved the party to the Japanese Tea Garden, which was pretty, but, as Henry pointed out, had no shoe-shaped slide. He remained doubtful until a few minutes later, when Pirate Luna arrived with her box of balloons and face paints. Henry was blissful, making hiring the pirate the best $120 I will ever spend.

For nearly $300, the Fairyland fiasco was an abomination. Once it was free, it was really quite lovely. And in the end, I felt strangely triumphant. In terms of party planning, the worst had happened, and I had survived. Better than survived, I got my money back.


4 comments:

  1. The other day my 2 year old daughter pointed out to me that she is a person, while I am a mommy. After spending hours last night trying to explain the silent desperation of fading away as a person and not wanting to be defined by the cleanliness of my light fixtures to my husband,who will never get it, I am so relieved to find that another intelligent woman yells like a fiend at her children and wonders if she will ever have a meaningful job or friends that have something to say that doesn't relate to toddler tantrums ever again. Reading your blog didn't give me any answers, but somehow, I felt less insane just seeing the way I feel in someone else's words. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, God, thank you so much, Mandi. I often wonder as I write this whether anyone really reads it, and if they do, if they wonder why I sound so whiny all the time. Your comment makes me fell less insane, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding your blog was a glimmer of hope on a bleak horizon. I know I'm not supposed to feel this way about mothering; I'm supposed to be having the time of my life watching my daughter's discoveries, and there are moments, sublime moments of grace when the sun breaks through the clouds, and I am the mother I should be, but mostly I feel frustrated, and then guilty because this isn't how it's supposed to be, and then isolated because no one gets it. I don't want to be a whiny drama queen; it's unbecomming at my age, and I do love my family and want to be the best I can for them, it's just....Your blog is helping people. The only people who really understand are the ones you don't have to explain it to. It's just good to know that such a person is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, your comment actually made me weep with happiness. I am certain you can relate to the fact that the positive feedback is extremely limited (although I seem to hear from everyone--kids, husband, friends--about the ways in which I may be failing). Thank you. It's an unbelievable gift to know that I am useful!

    ReplyDelete