Saturday, August 16, 2008

Labor. Maybe.

This better be the start of real labor, because it hurts like hell, and it's robbing me of desperately needed sleep.

I'm only about an hour and a half into it, and already I am thinking epidural. It's just past 2:30 a.m. I should be resting, I know. But I'm getting these 40-second contractions every 5 minutes or so that feel like my lower abdomen is about to rip apart. And as much as they hurt sitting in this chair, they hurt twice as bad when I'm lying down.

I'm timing them myself, because Simon's still asleep. I want to make sure this is the real deal before I drag him out of bed. Last night I was up for two hours with contractions--less intense, to be sure--and then they stopped dead, leaving me very, very tired and still without a baby.

Here's the thing: I don't really know when to go to the hospital. With Henry, my water broke, so we just got to go when we wanted. Now I am torn between not wanting to be sent home and really not wanting to give birth in the car.

What is it about the middle of the night that causes contractions? I was really hoping to get a good night's sleep before giving birth.

Meanwhile, my last contraction was shorter and further apart than the last ones. I am half hoping they'll just go away so I can crawl back into bed.

2 comments:

  1. Very excited for you! Hoping you get some rest. Drink some wine. That's what they told me to do in my crunchy birth class. I looked forward to it my whole pregnancy, that wine I'd drink when I went into labor. Then I didn't go into labor. And wine has never tasted good since I was pregnant. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that was your labor, I hope it ended up being as painless as possible. (though I know that's sort of a joke) Can't wait to hear about your new little one.
    -Melissa (signed on as my husband)

    ReplyDelete